Last week, Kenya Airways made history for becoming the first airline to offer non-stop flight between East Africa and the United States of America.
The flight, from Nairobi to NewYork is set to take a maximum time of 15-hours westbound and 14 hours eastbound.
While the airline has scheduled the maiden flight for October 28, it has begun selling tickets and bookings can be made through its website.
Why New York?
1. The opening of the US destination completes an essential piece for its network, cementing its position as one of the leading African carriers. This is because it already serves Africa, Europe, Middle-East, Indian sub-continent and Asia.
2. To attract corporate and high-end tourism traffic from the world to Kenya and Africa- currently, there are over 40 American multinationals firms located in Nairobi and many more across Africa, the launch of daily flights is expected to further spur trade between America and Africa.
3. To boost tourism, as the United States is one of Kenya’s Top tourist source (About 100,000 tourist from USA visited Kenya between January and October last year) According to the airline, the number increases by 20 per cent every two years.
4. Because the airline has a technical capacity to handle the service. It is the only non-stop flight offered between East Africa and the United States hence connecting more than two cities.
5. To boost the Kenyan economy through job creation and enhancing inter regional trade. According to Kenya Airways chief executive, atleast 150 jobs will be created directly through this flight. Trade interms of services and goods( between the US and Kenya) will also be boosted.
The ultra-long-haul flight, unique to Kenya Airways network, will require 4 Pilots and 12 Flight attendants as well as 85 tons of fuel each way, making it an exceptional operation.
The airline will operate its state of the art Boeing 787 Dreamliner with a capacity of 234 passengers.
The flight will depart every day from Jomo Kenyatta International Airport hub in Nairobi at 23:25 arriving at JFK airport in New York at 06:25 the following day.
From New-York it will depart at 12:25 landing at JKIA at 10:55 the following day.
For feedback, email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com