The largest online shopping event in Kenya-Jumia Black Friday is officially closing down on its offers today after one month of being active.
This comes after the market place announced over 10 million visits to its platform with offline retailers joining in this year.
The visits are a historic record in the retailer’s years of existence, achieved on the back of a challenging business environment.
“Despite a challenging business environment, this year’s Black Friday has broken all records. We delivered 3 times more products over the month of November than last year, and finished the month almost 10 times larger than we were in January. We are grateful for the trust & support of our customers. And thankful for the huge effort invested by our vendors, logistics partners and team in delivering happiness” Jumia Managing director Sam Chappatte told BizNews.
Key highlights of the 2017 from Black Friday Festival
1. According to data from the firm, the first delivery was made to a student at Kenyatta University in Nairobi, who ordered within 1 minute of the event going live.
2. 20 per cent of the total visits came from the Jumia App, with the rest split between Mobile Web and desktop, all driven by 150,000 new app downloads over the period.
3. 3x more vendors participated in the event, listing 20x more products leading to a total of 600,000 products listed for sale in the last one month.
4. The fastest flash sale sold out in less than 1 minute, and featured smartwatches for less than Sh100
5. The furthest delivery from Nairobi was a pair of headphones delivered to Mandera; distance travelled by the item was approximately 1029 kilometers.
6. Atleast three brands were sold exclusively on Jumia alone, they include
Huawei Mate 10 – (Retail price 79K)
Infinix Zero 5 (Retail price 27K)
Oppo F5 youth (Retail 26,990)
7. Groceries, Baby accessories, Televisions and home theatres were among the top 3 fastest moving products, at 15, 5 and 3 times respectively bigger than last year.
8. Unilever’s Blue Band, Pampers Diapers and Infinix Hot 5 Lite were among the most popular brand sold.
9. For the first time in the retails existence, Automotive, Land and livestock were sold through the platform. They Sold 4 brand new cars discounted at 15 per cent in partnership with Simba Colt (cars were Renault Kwid model), Land give away was in partnership with iProperties while Goats were sold at Sh1000
10. Papaya seeds and Blue Watermelon were the two unique products sold during the period.
11. Nairobi emerged the best in terms of highest region purchase in order at 75 per cent , Mombasa at 5 per cent and other regions at 20 per cent.
12. For the first time in any of its African markets, Jumia also announced the incorporation of Unstructured Supplementary Service Data (USSD) through dialling *483*483# from customers.